Dr. Lena Edwards
Dr. Edwards completed her medical education at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine in 1992. In 1996, she went on to complete a three year internal medicine residency at the University of Kentucky Medical Center during which time she received numerous research awards and was recognized as both Intern of the Year and Resident of the Year. Her leadership and teaching abilities gained her recognition by the program faculty, and she was appointed to the position of Chief Resident in 1999. During her residency, she co-authored several book chapters and medical papers which were published in peer reviewed medical journals, including the prestigious Annals of Internal Medicine.
Shortly after entering private medical practice, Dr. Edwards began pursuing the fields of integrative and functional medicine. She completed both the board certification and the fellowship program through the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine. Thereafter, she also completed the A4M fellowship in Integrative Cancer Therapy. After initially working in a group setting, she went on to independently establish her own medical practice, Balance Health & Wellness Center, in 2003. In 2007, Dr. Edwards appeared on the front cover of Kentucky MD News Magazine which highlighted her unique approach in combining conventional and integrative medical care to provide patients with optimal health outcomes. Due to her level of expertise and excellence in patient care, she has attracted over 2000 patients from all over the world. In 2012, she appeared as the ‘Health and Wellness’ expert on the PBS television series, Journey into Wellbeing.
In addition to operating her private medical practice in Boca Raton, FL, Dr. Edwards remains avidly involved in teaching, speaking, and authoring. She functions in numerous professional capacities which include serving as an oral board examiner and fellowship instructor for the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, a member of the A4M Abstract Review Committee, and a Community faculty member of The University of Kentucky School of Medicine, Clinical Professor at the George Washington University, and is on the review board of the Annals of Internal Medicine. She is also a national and international speaker and consultant for several other organizations. She has also published a number of articles in a variety of business and health newspapers and magazines (see ‘in the media’)
Dr. Edwards’ is best recognized for her expertise in HPA axis and adrenal dysfunction. She has extensively researched, written and spoken on this topic for nearly a decade. She co-authored a peer reviewed article, Hypocortisolism: An Evidence Based Review, which was published in August, 2011, in IMJC. She also authored an evidence based book titled Adrenalogic: Outsmarting Stress which has sold thousands of copies worldwide. She plans to continue working on additional books for patients and health care professionals which will focus on the numerous aspects of stress, HPA axis and adrenal dysfunction, particularly focusing on the global and multidimensional nature of these entities. She also continues to formulate her own nutraceutical products with a special emphasis on stress management.
In her free time, Dr. Edwards enjoys gourmet cooking, travelling, zumba, photography, and classical music.
For more information about Dr. Edwards please visit www.balancehealthandwellness.com.
Board Certified and Fellowship Trained, American Academy of Anti-Aging & Regenerative Medicine
Fellowship Trained in Integrative Cancer Therapy
Assistant Professor, George Washington University Integrative Medicine Program
Community Faculty Member, University of Kentucky Medical Center
Fellowship Instructor, Medical Metabolic Institute
Editorial reviewer, Annals of Internal Medicine
Guest Contributing Author, American College for the Advancement of Medicine
Advisory Board Submissions Committee, American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine
Oral Board Examiner, American Academy of Anti-Aging, Functional, and Regenerative Medicine
American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine American College of Physicians
American Academy for the Advancement of Medicine Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
Institute of Functional Medicine American Medical Association
Areas of Clinical Knowledge and Expertise
- Advanced endocrinology (female and male hormone imbalances, thyroid diseases, hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal dysfunction, diabetes, infertility, etc.)
- Stress induced illnesses
- Autoimmune diseases (Rheumatologic, gastrointestinal, neurological)
- Female gynecological issues (menopause, perimenopause, polycystic ovarian disease, endometriosis, ovarian and uterine cysts/fibroids)
- Gastrointestinal dysfunction (Dysbiosis, Candidiasis, Intestinal permeability, Inflammatory bowel disease)
- Nutritional and metabolic disorders (Nutritional deficiencies, impaired vitamin conversion, heavy metal toxicity, genetic errors of metabolism)
- Weight management
- Evidence based use of supplements for all of the above conditions
- Drug/herb and herb/herb interactions
- Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (male and female)
- Hormone pellet placement
- Intravenous therapies (vitamins, glutathione, chelation, and others)
- Integrative Cancer Therapy (Protocols, supplements, intravenous therapies)
- Neurological (Parkinson’s, M.S., Migrane headaches)
- Infectious diseases (Chronic Lyme Disease, subclinical viral, bacterial, and fungal infections)
- Detoxification pathways, safe methods of detoxification